Skip to content
Home » Blog » Is your Relief Manager licensed?

Is your Relief Manager licensed?

Queensland is the home of management rights with thousands of mums and dads engaged in the business.

To work as a relief manager in Queensland or NSW the person must be the holder of a full real estate licence for that state.

I believe that many relief managers charge from about $200 to $250 per day irrespective of whether they work as a couple or not – so it takes weeks of work just to pay for the licence.

In Victoria, whether a relief manager is required to be licensed depends upon their business activities. Under the Victorian act, there is no ‘relief manager’ role and therefore no definition of what it entails. However, if a relief manager’s activities fall under the definition of ‘estate agent’ in section 4 of the act (which includes selling, buying, letting and leasing property and collecting rents on behalf of another person) then they are required to be licensed.

Relief managers should apply to the Victorian Business Licensing Authority for an independent assessment to see if they are required to have a licence or are exempt. The exemptions do include the following for persons who arrange short-term letting, which may be applicable to some relief managers: A person who acts as an estate agent solely in relation to the letting of residential property where the period of each letting is or is to be for a period of 90 days or less is an exempt person for the purposes of section 5(2)(h) of the Estate Agents Act 1980.

In South Australia, there seems to be no definitive regulations. I understand that a relief manager would simply be regarded as an employee of the letting agency or resort and I have not determined if that position requires the holding of some licence.

The relevant authorities in each of the states have been in discussions for a number of years through COAG to introduce licensing regulations which are common across all the states. While there are still plenty of details to iron out, some new regulations may be introduced next year.

Personally, I recently completed my Queensland full real estate licence. From the start of training to receiving the licence took about two months. Once I had my Queensland real estate licence it was only a formality to go to NSW Fair Trading at Tweed Heads and have the ‘mutual recognition’ registered.

If anyone has had an experience contrary to those expressed above I would appreciate you letting me know.

Please take note that the above information is my interpretation of written and verbal communication with the licensing authorities and is provided as a guide only and you should obtain your own independent advice from the relevant state authority.

Useful contacts:

Property Licensing Section NSW: Phone (02) 9619 8799

Business Licensing Authority Victoria – Responsible for real estate licensing

Consumers Affairs Victoria – Responsible for monitoring enforcement and compliance of licensing

South Australia Consumer and Business Services – Responsible for real estate licensing: Phone 131 882

South Australia Small Business Dept

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.